Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Lions Draft Preview 2K13 Part 2


Predicting the Lions first 3 rounds


If any of you read yesterday, I said that if the Lions have the chance to take Eric Fisher at #5, the Lions should pass.  Just to recap, I don’ t believe in the homer pick, I’d like Fisher to start a new life somewhere else and if the Lions go 4-12 this year, I don’t want the blame put on him. 
The secondary has been atrocious and help is needed.  I like Chris Houston and the Glover Quin was a nice FA signing but the Louis Delmas and the rest of the bad company back there give me little confidence heading into the fall.  Dee Milliner would be my pick at #5 which shores up a very swiss-cheese like secondary.

For the Lions 2nd round pick, the Lions, after overhauling their O-Line this past off-season will take Menelik Watson, OT from Florida State.  Everything I've read about this guy says he’s a potential first round pick and is fast. At 6-5 310, he’s a perfect replacement for the retiring Jeff Backus.  Watson has size and length needed for the Lions O-Line and his size, speed, strength and field intelligence lead me to believe the Lions take him with the 36th pick.

In the 3rd Round, I think the Lions find themselves in a conundrum.  Let’s not kid ourselves here, the Lions have had very little production out of their picks after the second round so this really is a crap shoot.  After addressing CB and OT, the Lions could go a multitude of directions.  They still need help on the O-Line, they could use a pass rusher (unless you all are fine w/ Willie Young and Jason Jones) and have linebacker needs. 

Their 3rd round pick will be Barrett Jones, Center/OT/OG from Alabama.  Dom Raiola is no spring chicken and Jones anchored an Alabama O-Line that has produced three National Championships in the last 4 years and a plethora of solid running backs like Mark Ingram.  Jones stands 6-4 306, already taller and bigger than Raiola (6-1, 295) and Jones is only 22 yrs old.  He’ll be the anchor for the Lions for the next 10 years and his experienced college resume makes him the right choice for the Lions at 65th overall.

The jury is out for the remainder of the draft as to what the Lions will do.  As I mentioned yesterday, the Lions have done a very poor job scouting the later rounds for talent and have not been able to draft NFL caliber players on this team.  Scouting has been a real issue for the Lions and I’m not talking about the Millen era.  We’re past that people.  I don’t put anymore blame on it because it’s just an excuse; another way to deflect blame and provide a reason why this team has been so putrid for so long. I’m not buying it anymore and neither should you.  I’ve added some highlight reels of my pick predictions.  Enjoy the tape and come back tomorrow for Lions Draft Preview 2K13 Part 3 and follow @ajcoopdeville for live tweets during tomorrow night’s draft.




No comments:

Post a Comment