Wednesday, July 18, 2012

C's and D's get Degrees

Blah blah blah...that's what I've thought about the Red Wings off season so far.  I'm not really surprised either.  Zach Parise and Ryan Suter were the targets and we struck out on both of them.  They signed with Minnesota for 13 yr. 100 million dollar deals that makes the Wild good enough for an eight seed next year.

I think the problem with the Wings is that they've lost all their cache that they once had in the league.  This isn't 2002 anymore and the salary cap has handcuffed the Wings.  They can no longer go out and get every top free agent available and we've seen how difficult it's been for the Wings to sign top free agents the past 5-6-7 years.  The Red Wings are an Original Six organization, tops in the league but what does it say when the oldest teams in the league like Toronto, Montreal and Detroit cannot get the top talent?

I'll give this off-season a C.  Losing Hulder is fine with me because he's making more than he's worth with the Flames.  Acquiring Samuelsson and Tootoo fill roles but are not high impact signings.  Samuelsson will help on the powerplay and he shoots a shit ton but he's old.  Wings fans that clamor for toughness will get it from Tootoo but he's nothing more than a poor mans Darren McCarty - just lacking any offensive skill.

I've had people ask me whether or not this season is the one the Wings finally miss the playoffs.  Hate to say it, but there's no way they don't make it.  The Wings are just one of those organizations that are destined for success.  In hockey it's easier, my opinion to sustain a high level of success.  It also helps that they've got the best front office in the league.


UPDATE from Mt. Pleasant! - so I survived my first week and already halfway thru the second.  Making a lot of cold calls and i've set up 7-8 meetings so far.  Still lookin for that first sale but I got a feeling it's coming soon.  I also got my keys to Kelly/Shorts and McGuirk so anyone wanna play????

also - sleeping on an air mattress sucks - off to GP this weekend to celebrate my good friends Bryan Ramberger and Trisha Monahan who are gettin hitched.  Looking forward to the celebration!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! See you Friday. We can share air mattress stories

    ReplyDelete